Understanding the National Broadband Network Rollout

This unique network is made up of glass cables similar in shape to a strand of human hair. They are then covered by flexible, plastic tubing so they are able to bend without breaking the internal cables.

This new platform uses fibre optics where digital information will be sent through pulses of light, meaning that information transfer is incredibly faster at 100mb/second. The most amazing fact about the National Broadband Network is that the government will be expanding its system to over 90 per cent of the country.

This system has been in the works for quite a while and the government has invested $43 billion to ensure its success. The test subjects for the rollout of the National Broadband Network will be residents in Armidale and in selected parts of the South Coast of NSW and more than 5,000 homes will be the first in the country to use the NBN service.

This type of internet access has never been available on such a large scale. If this network proves to be successful, then how information is sent and received in Australia will drastically change. The test rollout will offer these 5,000 homes and businesses a taste of the future in terms of broadband internet.

There are two locations in NSW that have been selected alongside areas in Queensland, Victoria and South Australia, chosen because they offer a small-scale version of all of the terrains, climates and communities that will be affected by the massive roll out of fibre optic broadband internet services.

The IT hubs for the National Broadband Network will be Armidale, Kiama Downs and Minnamurra. The remaining Australian homes, business and facilities are planned to have access by early next year, with the network launching soon.

These test sites are crucial to the success of the National Broadband Network, as they will help the NBN providers understand any flaws in the system and finalise the layout design and the construction elements across Australia. This process will hopefully be finished within the next eight years.

By the end of this period, 90 per cent of Australia will have the ability to receive 100mb per second of broadband internet and this percentage is expected to increase by three per cent if all goes well. The remaining 7-10 per cent will still have broadband access through the Next Generation satellites, which will most likely be located in the more rural areas of Australia.

With the success of the National Broadband Network, this will tremendously help to increase the economy and demonstrate that Australia is one of the leaders in the technology revolution.